Skip to main content Skip to navigation
Department of Criminal Justice and Criminology Funding

Ph.D. Students:

Teaching Assistantships: Teaching Assistants are obligated to provide 20 hours of instruction-based service per week. The awarding of teaching assistantships is a very competitive process. There are two types of TAs: support and independent section TAs. Support TA positions assist a faculty member teaching a large course, usually with over 80 students. Independent section TAs teach their own class. All TAs should strive for the highest quality of instructional pedagogy and delivery of services to students. All grading  and other responsibilities should be fulfilled thoughtfully and in a timely manner.

Research Assistantships: Research assistantships are funded from external grants and contracts obtained by individual faculty members. RAs are employed and selected at the discretion of the faculty Principal Investigator (PI) on the grant or contract. RAs are expected to work 20 hours a week on research under the direction of a faculty member. Generally, announcements will be made to all students when a RA position becomes available.

Departmental Funding: Students funded by the department as a TA or RA receive a specified stipend each month (for nine months), health insurance benefits, and an in-state tuition waiver (for WA state residents). Out-of-state tuition is waived the first year until the student establishes residency.

Residency: To qualify for resident tuition, state law requires you be a state resident for 12 months. If you are a U.S. citizen or Permanent Resident and have come to WSU from out of state, establish residency in order to avoid paying out-of-state tuition. To establish residency, get your Washington State Driver’s license within 30 days of arrival; register your car; register to vote; establish a bank account; and live in- state for one year. Additional residency information is here.

Procedures for Application:

Current Students- Submit application for departmental teaching assistantships by late January for the following academic year.

Prospective Students- If you are applying to our Ph.D. program and submit your application materials by the priority application deadline established for fall, you will be considered for an assistantship in conjunction with being considered for admission.

M.A. Students:

Internal department funding is typically reserved for Ph.D. students. Various university offices hire Graduate Assistantship positions, such as the Women’s Resource Center, Center of Community Standards, Health & Wellness Services, Multicultural Student Centers, Center for Civic Engagement, Admissions Office, Office of Financial Aid, etc. See handout here with additional information.  To inquire about any positions, you will need to reach out to these offices directly. Some offices may require a cover letter and a resume.

Graders: When funds allow DCJC hires a number of M.A. students who assist instructors with undergraduate course grading. Graders are assigned to support individual courses and are paid a set amount for a set number of hours. These positions are compensated at an hourly wage and do not include benefits or a tuition waiver.