Requirements for the Minor
The student who minors in criminal justice will learn about the various components and activities of our system of justice, such as the police, courts, corrections, and juvenile justice. A minor in criminal justice will be useful to any student desiring knowledge of how our American system of justice works.
Effective Fall 2019, the minor in Criminal Justice and Criminology requires 18 credits of coursework in criminal justice (CRM J), including CRM J 101. Nine credits must be taken at the 300 – 400 level and taken in residence at WSU or through WSU-approved education abroad or educational exchange courses. All coursework with the exception of CRM J 490 and 499 must be graded. CRM J 499 may not be applied toward the minor unless approved in advance by the department. Only 3 credits of Crm J 490 or Crm J 499 may be used for the minor. Interested students should contact the Department of Criminal Justice and Criminology for details.
- Crm J 101: Intro to the Administration of Criminal Justice
In addition to the required Crm J 101, the student shall also select an additional 15 credits in criminal justice to fulfill the requirements of 18 credits for a minor. All course work, with the exception of Crm J 490 and Crm J 499, must be graded.
Possible Elective Courses
- Crm J 365: Juvenile Justice and Corrections
- Crm J 370: Intro to Policing in America
- Crm J 380: Criminal Courts In America
- Crm J 381: Crime and Justice in the Movies
- Crm J 385: Institutional Corrections
- Crm J 400: Issues in the Administration of Criminal Justice (may be repeated for up to 6 credits)
- Crm J 403: Violence Toward Women
- Crm J 405: Comparative Criminal Justice Systems
- Crm J 424: Community Corrections
- Crm J 426: Victimology and Public Policy
- Crm J 427: Crime Prevention Strategies
- Crm J 428: Drug and Alcohol Use and Abuse
- Crm J 490: Criminal Justice Internship
- Crm J 491: Special Topics – Study Abroad
- Crm J 499: Special Problems/Independent Study (faculty approval required)
Undergraduate Academic Advisors:
Tina Krauss, Room 104B, Wilson-Short. Ph: 509-335-5467. (Students whose last name begins with letters: A — P).
Sisouvanh (Sis) Keopanapay, Room 104A, Wilson-Short. Ph: 509-335-1204. (Students whose last name begins with letters: Q — Z; Students who have questions about internship credits).